04 December 2008

Save the Tonkin Snub-Nosed Monkey!


According to Science Daily's report from just a few hours ago (I get a direct feed to any breaking news about rare monkey conservation efforts), a new population of extremely rare snub-nosed monkeys has been discovered in the forests of North Vietnam.

From the article:

"When I saw the Tonkin snub-nosed monkeys in Tung Vai Commune I was overjoyed. This new discovery further underlines the importance of learning more about the Tonkin snub-nosed monkeys' range and distribution. There is still time to save this unique species, but with just 200 or so left and threats still strong, we need to act now."

-- Conservation biologist Le Khac Quyet, who made a name for himself as one of the few people in the world who can claim to be an expert on this mysterious species

While I can not claim to be an expert on the species, which in some respects look eerily similar to Ewoks, they are one of my favorite species of primate, right up there with humans, Yunnan Golden and Proboscis monkeys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That li'l monkey is ridiculously cute. I must have one, stuffed and sitting on my desk. My keys will dangle from his tail. I didn't actually read the article, but I assume that they are quite abundant. I shall send for one today!

Elizabeth Baddeley said...

um...I don't think that's a monkey...I think it's Michael Jackson.