03 July 2008

Hanging Around


Yeah, I'm still around.

It's still raining here and I keep making the mistake of sitting in the one lawn chair I didn't dry off, so I thought I'd better come inside and type a quick catch-up note before my stylish gap shorts get soaked all the way through.

I'm heading out tomorrow on a road-trip to Wisconsin. I plan to hit Madison for the 4th of July, where I've received an offer to eat a watermelon full of some kind of liquor and walk around various bodies of water to watch (and participate in) fireworks displays. After that, a short drive to Oshkosh for Wade's wedding reception, then a return route through Chicago where I will hopefully connect with James & James, one of whom will likely be held up at roman candle-point for a mix-tape.

But first, a shout out to Canada. Tuesday was Canada Day, and from my (admittedly limited) experiences in the Northern provinces, "Canada Day" is a cultural observation and spirited party that often stretches over several days and nights, drawing to a full close only at dawn on the 4th of July.

If you're staying close to town, don't miss Toby Terrance opening for 4th of July and Archetype at the Replay in Lawrence. Also opening Friday night is Liz Gardner's show at the Pi Gallery next to Grinders in the Crossroads. She'll have some new larger paintings and textile creations on display along with a fresh installment of the pocket-sized pieces, accompanied by some of my haiku. There will be a reception on Friday the 11th, which I'll likely post a flier for, but her art will be up starting this weekend.

What else...Work has been enjoyable and busy, and there are a number of creative projects in the works (I'm not trying to be cryptic, but I want to be in bed by close to 3).

The Shakespeare in the Park performance of Othello was pretty solid. In that natural outdoor venue, the line between audience and stage can get kind of blurred, and that combined with some convincing acting made me want to hop on stage and throttle Iago before his deceit incurred a body count. But history can not be altered, and it would be rather rude to interrupt a play.

So let's see...That's about it for tonight. I'll continue to maintain a blog here until I get a proper Web site, which is in the very earliest stages of research and development. (If I get lucky I might even try to enter it in the non-traditional category of Shawnee Mission Schools "R&D" Forum, but that's unlikely, because there is no non-traditional category, and besides I would be no match for grade schoolers when it comes to Web design. To be honest, I don't really even know how to use the Facebook!)

Things that I will continue to post here: useful information for the informed and classy Kansas Citian. For example, Royal Liquors on State Line has 4 or 5 quality varieties of Vinho Verde, all for under 10 dollars. Also, the New York Deli does a wicked pastrami/baby swiss/spicy mustard on pumpernickel as well as some delicious mohn pastries.

Things I likely won't blog about just yet: my growing fascination with the former ferries along the Missouri and Kansas Rivers, especially the olde watering hole/din of ill repute known as "Pensineau's Trading House." The above photo of me swinging over the Big Muddy was taken near the former location of Pensineau's place. Photo credit as usual to jennybros.com.

Speaking of, for those friends who have not yet heard, Jennifer and I will be jumping the proverbial broom in less than two months time. Much left to plan, but it will be fun.

So Aunt Margaret, break out your dancing shoes.

The rest of you, Happy Independence Day and I hope to see you soon.

LDHW

P.S. Thanks Teresa for mailing the swim suit and jelly beans. Much appreciated.

2 comments:

MaggieJo said...

The ruby slippers are "ready to rumble!!!!".

Akktri said...

You're thinking too much inside the box. I'd love to see how a theatrical production would handle someone modifying the storyline to Othello by throttling one of the actors.