03 April 2008

skittish

All right, I know trying to initiate a dialog on a blog with as small and apathetic a readership (and authorship) as this one is like trying to discuss world events at a rural saloon where the only customers are three regulars with their heads half-buried in buckets of the local blue collar lager. In other words, I don't have high expectations for starting a meaningful conversation here. But I'll give it a try.

I've been thinking a lot about hip-hop lately. Rap music. Whatever you want to call it. Just as long as there's that tic tic followed by that bump.

Rap is so completely co-opted by advertising culture, and yet you'll never feel as cool as you do when driving around with your windows open, the verbal barrage of some high-flying emcee blasting out of your car speakers over a nice sample and a phat beat.

I even went so far as to write and record a rap song once, which was a fun experience that also gave me an appreciation for how challenging it really is to compose and deliver effective, fast-paced rhymes while still maintaining a smooth flow.

So even though it's possible for a white kid such as myself to record a hip-hop tune (albeit a mostly humorous one), there's a social and racial divide I'll never make it across, an underlying tension and intensity I'll likely never feel the same way an authentic rapper would.

While reading through the now-retracted LA Times Story last week about the 1994 attack on Tupac (if you haven't seen it yet, don't miss reading the part about how Tupac accidentally shot himself in the groin while being attacked, then dragged himself into the elevator, rode bleeding down to the lobby, rolled a joint and called his girlfriend on his cell phone before medics and cops arrived on the scene, at which point he was wheeled out on a stretcher while raising a middle finger to the assembled photographers and news media) I marveled at what a totally different reality someone like that lives in. Even the folks who pull up to the stoplight outside my building late at night blasting that glitchy krunk shit that passes for hip-hop these days are clearly living in a far different city than I do, even if it's just a mile or so away.

Most likely there's little reconciling these two worlds. But what would it sound like if we tried?

Before I turn the discussion over to you all, I'll give you a tiny bit more background. I was driving to Illinois with my friend Jon a few months back, listening to the collected works of Ghostface Killah on my minivan's quite impressive sound system. Normally I would have skipped past all the skits and filler, but because it was a 5-hour drive, we decided to let them play, discussing the history, structure and notable examples of the hip-hop skit. And then Jon posed the question, "If indie rockers included skits on their albums, what would they be about?"

A few ideas crossed our head initially, but rather than allow those to taint your thoughts, I thought I'd see what you bring to the table. I usually don't ask much of my readers, so don't let me down this time. The future of modern music depends on it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It'd probably sound something like this ...

Guy: So what's the prognosis, Fertile Myrtle? Minus or plus?

Girl: I don't know. It's not seasoned yet.

[grabs products]

Girl: I'll take some of these. Nope... There it is. The little pink plus sign is so unholy.

[shakes pregnancy tester]

Guy: That ain't no Etch-A-Sketch. This is one doodle that can't be un-did, Homeskillet.

MaggieJo said...

Honestly, the only rap I have ever listened to was your rap on JOPLIN. I thought it quite good!

Anonymous said...

personally i was thinking it might be cool if, in the same way that rappers take cheesy and sleazy aspects of white gangster films, prospective indie rock skit-writers borrow or get informed by the more eloquent passages of the Harlem Renaissance. Just something real-to-life but more everyday and subtle than hot-tub orgies coke-sniffing gunbattles and such. more like, "i feel the hot footsteps of a lass outside the record store," or repurposing Marcus Garvey's "back to Africa" as one 80s rock fans guilty admission that he'll never lose his love for Toto. It might not have life or death gravity, and it would likely have to be self-consciously funny to fit the bill, but it should still be real. I don't know. There are a lot of possibilities. The pregnancy test one is great. I'd like to hear some more.

-- Toby --

Anonymous said...

Instead of parodies of old school gangster films, perhaps it would be Wes Anderson or Todd Solondz movies. That or an imaginary conversation between Stephen Malkmus and Mark E. Smith while driving.

Akktri said...

Actually, I think you'd have an easier time doing something along the lines of Frank Zappa. Not rap, but wacky, and it includes some talking parts.
Actually, instead of doing rap, I'd suggest doing songs with talking in them. Country musicians have done this successfully. Another idea is trying to do something like System of A Down. There's a rap flavor, but it's mostly rock. Or maybe try to play like Red Hot Chili Peppers (but please don't do the thing with the socks or I'll claw my eyes out).

Akktri said...

I for one dislike skits on rap CD's. Eminem's skits are disgusting and full of cuss words, making me wish that he would get back to the music, where at least the cuss words have rhythm.
It appears as if this is where the genre of the radio play has gone. That's sad because Vincent Price and several other people are now rolling like a rotisserie in their graves.
"The future of modern music?" Personally, I wouldn't be so bold as to assume that I'll be able to change the face of any sector of popular culture. You're lucky to even get an article in the Kc Star.
But if you want to find out what it's like to be a gritty, angsty urban rapper, give away all your money to the poor and move into an apartment at 12th and Prospect. Or just move into an apartment on prospect and leave your door open and unlocked. You'll have plenty of urban angst to write about then. That is, if you survive a week.