08 April 2008

Bringing it all back home...


"Why must it always end in heartbreak?" I asked my friend Kyle as KU sank to a 9-point deficit in the waning minutes of tonight's NCAA basketball championship. "That's just the balance of fate," he replied.

And then -- with all the predictability of a Kansas tornado -- the balance of fate swung in our favor.

75-68.

Unbelievable.

In honor of the Hawks' vicennial victories in the championship, I thought I'd share this song called "Hawk it To 'Em," unearthed a few years back by Jayhawk DJ Balagan (you can read more about the song itself on his homepage).

More from me soon, but until then, you may rest assured that early reports that I am currently serving jail time for lighting roman candles on Mass. St. were false.

Take care. Rock Chalk. And remember to "keep it classy."

LHW

I found this postcard at the Clinton Store near Bloomington Beach at Clinton Lake. I can't remember exactly what the caption says on the back, but I believe it's a photo on file at the State historical society of a child reunited with his long-lost Jayhawk foster family. A fitting image for this festive occasion.

Addendum: It's hard to imagine a song more appropriate for Hawks fans than "Hawk it to 'em" (except for those dated Orange Bowl references), but I thought I'd post one more celebratory soul song this morning. It's a track by Esther Williams from the Best of Jazzman compilation called "Last Night Changed It All." Enjoy.

4 comments:

jennybros said...

Hearing "Hawk It To Em" post-victory, this morn is what finally squeezed out those tears of exaltation and relief. What an amazing night! Thanks Jayhawkers.

Elizabeth Baddeley said...

Doesn't all the heartbreak suddenly seem worth it??

LW said...

definitely -- "last night changed it all"

Akktri said...

It figures you'd be a Jayhawks fan, Luke. Our church is just next door to KU.
-Chris Wagner