22 October 2007

(Almost) Famous


Thanks to Tim Engle, whose KC Star write-up brought these lucubrations into the local limelight. If you didn't see the piece, you can probably still do so here.

I was greeted with a number of kind phone calls and messages from friends, but I have to admit I was disappointed that there wasn't a better turn-out at the airport when my flight arrived from Seattle. I had expected to be hoisted up on the shoulders of the masses and carried all the way to economy parking, but the only people I saw when I came out of the gate were a pair of shady limo drivers and a security guard. Oh well.

There were a few humorous circumstances surrounding the article, however. For one, the headline beneath the story on me was titled, "Older people on Facebook are creepy." My brother actually handed the paper to me folded so that it looked like the headline was meant to accompany the photo of me grinning non-threateningly. I would normally laugh this off as coincidence, except that I just joined Facebook last week, and even my younger sisters have told me they're not sure they'll accept me as a friend. How do you like that. My own flesh and blood.

The cover of the FYI section on Saturday also featured a nice story about Miles Bonny, an old friend of mine from KU and my favorite local DJ and music producer. If you didn't see the article on Miles, than try out these lines from his wikipedia entry instead:

...(Miles) co-founded Hip Hop group SoundsGood in 2000 with Kansas City based rapper Joe Good. In the early years of SoundsGood the group was well known in the "house party" scene, where they were known to "kill it", "throw down" and "lace crowds off."

Speaking of lace, it also appears the name "Renaissance Man" might have some unfortunate staying power. One friend chided me about this, saying "no wonder you wanted to go to the Renaissance Fest, Renaissance Man." The name does suit me in one respect, though. I have been drinking a lot of the "Renaissance Blend" tea purchased at Tea Drops in West Port. It's fantastic. Really, you should try it.

Reading the story, I had to wonder what someone who didn't know me might think, and ask myself if that guy in the story was really me. I like to think that I've got greater social concern and spiritual depth than finding good tamales and writing Japanese-inspired poems about jelly beans, but I also can't deny that these are matters of some importance to me. It just so happens that these petty but impassioned laments fit rather conveniently into the blogging format.
Eventually I'll pack it in, get a proper Web site portfolio and divert my energies entirely to to other efforts, but for now it looks as if there is still some fun to be had with this site. I owe that to you guys, especially the folks who chimed in with some Wakarusa Festival alternatives last week. Those were great.

The photo, by the way, is plucked from Jenn's new Seattle set. I'll follow up later this week with some impressions of the Emerald City. Also look for upcoming posts about topics such as The Fairer Sex, The Kansas Hermit, witches, missile silos and 36 weeks in Hamburg. And maybe I'll go ahead and post a list of favorite tamale locations since I kind of dodged that question in the Star.

God bless, my itsy-bitsy but appreciated readership.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm glad I got to know you, before inevitably fame laid eyes on you, Rennaissance Man (Btw, Rennaissance festivals, they're not really rennaissance, they're more likely to be medieval ...oh well forget it)
Anyways, I, of course, am looking forward to the 36 weeks in Hamburg essay (will that be like a kinky version of 9 1/2 weeks in Paris?)
Congratulations, Lukester, I always knew, you'd be famous one day

Unknown said...

Dude that is DEF famous status, congrats.

Anonymous said...

Wie geht's, Luke? It's your old pal sarah (stiefel) snodgrass and i just found your blog from the star article. Hey, do you still have my phone that I left you in bonn? I need it back dude.

B said...

swoop. look at you go!

Akktri said...

I found out about your website from that article being tacked up on the church bulletin board. I was wondering about that `renaissance man' comment myself. It is a relief to find out that the phrase was applied by a well intentioned newspaper writer and not the result of personal egotism. I think the description doesn't entirely fit, as you are best at music and possibly writing, someone does your photographs for you, and I haven't seen any of your paintings, sculptures or dramatic performances.