20 August 2007

Our Modest Metropolis


Kansas City's urban renewal ambitions scored some PR points with a front-page feature in Thursday's USA Today. The headline, accompanied by a nice photo of the new Nelson at night, read: Kansas City: Modest Metropolis in Midst of Mighty Renewal.

The article contained the usual fanfare about new buildings, how much companies are investing in the Power and Light district, and some quotes from New York publications about how schnazzy the Bloch building is. The "If You Go" sidebar even mentioned my favorite neighborhood barbecue joint/gas station combo, Oklahoma Joe's.

The most colorful part of the article, in my opinion, is the transition from talking about entertainment options to mentioning at length the WWI museum. And I quote:

Among the more established draws is the 18th & Vine Historic Jazz District, home to the American Jazz Museum and nightspots such as The Blue Room. But tourism also has gotten a boost from another significant new museum that opened in December, the National World War I Museum.

Built underground at the site of Kansas City's iconic Liberty Memorial — a 22-story obelisk-like war monument that is one of the city's most imposing structures — the new museum offers a comprehensive history of the Great War, with thousands of rare historical objects ranging from battle flags to biplanes.

"I can guarantee that this is the only place where you can touch the tube of a Bavarian field howitzer," says curator Doran Cart, rubbing his hand along one of half a dozen howitzers on display.


I haven't been to the WWI museum in a couple of years, but just from reading that last quote, it sounds amazing.

In fact, I think when visiting dignitaries or heads of state first arrive in our modest metropolis, they should be greeted with the customary kiss on both cheeks, handed a platter of OK Joe's fries and addressed with the words: "Welcome to Kansas City -- the only place where you can touch the tube of a Bavarian field howitzer."

2 comments:

Megan Moriarty said...

I totally agree with the Oklahoma Joe's fries. They're heavenly. If you haven't been to the WWI Museum, you should go. It really is pretty cool (yes, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to history).

Anonymous said...

Yes, the WWI Museum is very cool, though I thought the whole thing about 9 million people dying was kind of a downer, especially after I'd had the opportunity to rub my hand along each and every one of the half dozen howitzers on display. And there was far too much reading involved. If you ask me, history should be felt, not read.