17 April 2007

Loft apartment lullaby



In my frequent weekend visits to the San Francisco Towers, I've spent untold hours gazing out at the Western Auto building, a structure I've admired since I was a boy. Inspired by the building itself, as well as songs like Toby's "Kansas City," I decided I'd write a little ballad about falling asleep on top of the building.

I've got $18.95 worth of credit left at Sweatlodge Studios, Lawrence that I aim to record this song with. But before I do, I wanted to open up the floor to lyrical and musical suggestions, ideas for new verses, or even entirely new compositions about this cosiest of cowtowns. (Snakin, Red, Coates, Cali G...I know you're out there). In the meantime, here are the lyrics. I hope you enjoy.

Let Me Sleep On The Western Auto Lofts

I want to sleep on the top
of the Western Auto Lofts
lay me down a top
of the lofts on a bed made of straw

If New York's the town that don't sleep
are we the downtown that doesn't wake up?
I think there's still lots going on
but the pace is just not so abrupt

There's shopping and dining
ballparks and parades
rock concerts and artwalks
pools and cold lemonade

So let me sleep on the top
of the Western Auto Lofts
lay me down a top
of the lofts on a bed made of straw

Should I grow up or sleep in
or go to the zoo?
or just walk down to Keno's
catch a Tivoli feature or two

For now I'll just relax
have a drink in the shade
once I make my bed on top
of the lofts, I'll have it made

so let me sleep on the top
of the Western Auto Lofts
right under the giant neon light
on a bed made of straw

We can wade in the fountains
by the old cabarets
and place our bets on boats
that never go no place

Life's as lazy as you make it
and this town's the same way
so let me sleep on top of the lofts
on a futon of hay

When the sign's lights go out
I'll close my eyes too
and fall asleep on the Western Auto lofts
and dream about you

photo credit: kspsylo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a place I ain't never been
but sho would like to go
if only for a short brief stop
so I could watch old Luke on top
the Western Auto Loft

Brandon said...

Hmm, it needs more violin......

Brandon said...

But I like it!

Akktri said...

Boy, that's so clever I think it will replace the Kansas City song! Just think of it: Millions of tourists from all around the world standing in mile long lines in front of the Western Auto building with their piles of straw, all waiting to sleep on the rooftop underneath that big neon sign! Think about all the health and safety problems this will cause! Maybe the huge mob standing outside the front door can catch the guys that roll off the side of the building in their sleep.
You've given me some great ideas for other ballads:
Let's go to...the Kansas City Power and Light Building...I wanna...piss on the wall next to the front door...
Goin' swimming in Brush Creek....gonna get myself the plague...
Stealin' booze...Stealin' booze...from the Sunfresh in Grandview...
By the way, I don't think anyone in their right mind would ask themselves, "Should I go to sleep or go to the zoo". The two are mutually exclusive. You're either tired or you're not, and furthermore, the zoo closes awfully early, so if you're sleeping on the rooftop and it's dark enough for you to enjoy the neon light, the gates are probably closed so you should probably go to sleep anyway. Not sure about the whole straw thing, either. A sleeping bag and an air mattress would have been a better choice because it's not like you can just lug a heavy hay bale around with you everywhere.