03 August 2010

Life on the edge


This is a piece I made out of an old map. I bought it for Jenny at the antique market because she likes maps, but then I realized it was one of those America-centered maps, which she hates. These days the politically and geographically appropriate cut-off point is the Bering Straight, with the Americas on the left/West and Eurasia on the right/East. You almost never see Eurasia in the center, so I thought that would be fun to create. I accomplished this by taking an exacto straight down the 95th meridian, slicing just between the words "Kansas" and "City" (hence the labels).

A few things I like about this map:

• It makes Kansas City the effective end of the Earth (which some people refer to it as anyway)

• "Kansas" falls off into the Western U.S. while "City" is lumped in with the East Coast capitals. Politically, it works as well, with "Kansas" on the right and "City" on the left.

• The Soviet Union appears on the reconstructed map as the "Sovioviet Union."

If anyone would like a copy in postcard form, I'd be happy to send. If anyone wants the actual map, you've got 5 days to claim it before it goes out in the recycling bin. Which, in the end, is probably for the best. This Earth could stand to be recycled.

4 comments:

Statson said...

Aerosmith is so great.

Nathan said...

If you wanted to make this the first installment in an anarcho-cartographic series, you could use your exacto to reassemble Pangea for the next piece. I still think that would be amazing.

B said...

i want this damnit

Artur said...

Very interesting blog, I invite you to visit www.my-minsk-artur.blogspot.com