24 August 2009

Hwy 24 revisited


Last night around midnight Jennifer and I treated ourselves to a bite of year-old wedding cake. I hadn't heard of this tradition until my mother procured the frosted artifact last week from the family freezer. It was surprisingly palatable after we let it thaw for a few hours. I'd even go so far as to call it tasty.

We spent our anniversary the way I imagine many couples do -- strolling around for hours at the Kansas City Zoo. Later that day when I fell asleep for a nap I thought about the comforting presence of all the animals and how extraordinarily human some of the primates (especially the Blue Monkey and the ancient Orangutan couple) appear when they look you in the eye.

As some of you might have noticed I have not been blogging very frequently, though not for lack of excitement on the home front. After Mexico I decided to try and extend my streak of eating nothing but Mexican food with the occasional slice of pizza. I finally gave in on August the 14th when I ate a schwarma at the Habashi House. Yesterday I got a Pignose amplifier that sounds every bit as pugnacious as I could have hoped. A bunch of storms happened and I drove out to the middle of Kansas to watch the Perseids without any light pollution. Also I am working rather diligently on a few new projects that will be unveiled before too long.

In the meantime I am still posting songs on the lukebox, which Robert of Sonic Spectrum recently called his new favorite podcast, throwing a wee bit of traffic its way after 3 years of near-obscurity. I'm trying to link back to labels and such now but it's still a mostly no-frills place to stream all the songs you might not have heard. Many of these I heard through my friends (the implied "you" in the 4-year run-on sentence that is lucubrations) and some are even by them. A lot of these tunes were played at the wedding party last summer, so if anyone wants to sing along, feel free.

Speaking of streams, Blue says she's holding on to the stalactite of summer as tightly as she can, but is rapidly slipping. I don't have the heart to tell her she's fighting a losing battle. Who knows, though -- maybe we're in for an Indian summer.


Later, lemurs.

1 comment:

B said...

you wont tell me in person, so i have to read it on your blog?! ruuuuuude.

jokin.