04 May 2009

Loowit and Klickitat

Don't worry, reader. I haven't fallen off the monkey bars and back into childhood (re: my last post). I just enjoy a musical reminder now and again of how much more fun kids, puppets and soul singers can be than just about any blog. In fact, I think "Blog" was the name of one of Henson's early rejected muppets. He was like Cookie Monster, only with an appepite for digital media and an even bigger mouth; like Edward Munch's The Scream only a perpetual yawn. A liability and a bore.

With the weather how it is at present, suitable for hoodies and shorts, open windows and neighborhood walks, it's hard to justify spending any time in front of a computer, especially seeing as how that eats up enough of my billable daylight hours. So a few words and then I'm out for a bit.

I saw that Kansas City salvage-yard baron and opining shriner Skip Sleyster died last week. Even though I didn't know it until reading the obits, Skip was the one who started the "Super Flea" at the old warehouse on St. John's and Belmont (if you haven't been there, it's a trip -- I'd describe it as a massive post-apocalyptic garage sale). I love the example of Skip's paid advertisement/column posted at Bottomline Communiations, too. Even though I had no clue who the old fella was, I often stopped to give Skip the requiste "moment of my time." My personal favorite line: "For fast-acting relief, try slowing down."

I think I might take the old man's advice and rest up for a bit, though I'm sure I'll be back to posting at some point soon. This blog has become more of an open e-mail and a series of wall posts than a home for any substantive writing, but I do plan to have an official website of sorts up by early summer. Websites are like album releases, though. You don't want to rush them.

In the meantime, I've got a bit of work to do and a trip to the coast coming up. I know there are a lot of final projects, graduations, weddings and life events coming up for many of you, so I wish everyone the best of luck. In a few days I'll be staying in a yurt in the Cascades, so if you don't see me for a bit, don't worry. I'm sure I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

SS said...

Skip's ads were such a hoot - I'll definitely miss those too. What a character. And don't forget - call Kevin for a good Stihl chainsaw.

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?