02 December 2008

A Very Bahamian Christmas


Since we're already being inundated with Christmas carols in public places, I thought I'd share this clip of my new favorite Christmas song: Joseph Spence's live rendition of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town." Spence was a folk singer and guitar player from an island in the Bahamas. He was known for his unique finger-style method of playing guitar and also for his distinctive growling vocals, which in a way are reminiscent of Tom Waits or Thelonious Monk. One time I put on a CD of his and Jennifer started looking outside the windows and all over the apartment to identify where the raspy voices were coming from, not realizing it was part of the music. Joe more than just growls his way through this one -- he straight-up sings.

Even if he doesn't know the words.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Baddeley said...

My favorite Christmas album, is, hands down, The Muppet's Christmas Carol. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.