25 October 2008

We All Fall Down


This is one of my favorite fall pictures ever. It's a shot I took a few years ago of Adam jumping into a pile of leaves near the Uni-Bonn Hauptgebaude. It's a bit grainy, but who cares.

It's a sunny and windy October day here in Kansas City, so I think I'll go take a walk and enjoy it even though my bones ache and I don't have any energy for some reason. It might have to do with having read two books back-to-back that ruthlessly expose the ridiculousness of human history and identity vs. capitalism. They are Europeana by Patrik Ourednik and Coming of Age at the End of History by Camille Toledo. If any body else has read these or would like to, let me know when you've finished and we can get together and discuss over a strong drink or three.

But back to lighter matters: I went to the Louisburg cider mill a couple of weeks ago where I watched crying kids ride ponies, listened to some Civil War-era music performed by a bluegrass band, and -- of course -- bought some donuts and cider. It was a great time, and when I got home I was reminded of one of all-time favorite cold weather drinks, which I first sampled years ago at the Bourgeois Pig. Hot cider (with cinnamon and cloves mixed in) mixed with Tuaca and topped with whipped cream. Great stuff.

That's all for this weekend. Moritz and his friend are visiting as part of their "Crossroads08" travels -- a coast-to-coast journey through America in the months leading up to the election. If you can read German, you'll find some great entries about places in this country that many Americans aren't familiar with.

Hope you are having a nice weekend, and until next time.

LW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think the inaugural day at Boley should be celebrated with cider donuts?