21 October 2008

Music

Today marks the 5 year anniversary of Elliot Smith's death. If you've got all the studio albums and would like to hear something unfamiliar, I'd recommend the 2-disc "New Moon" album, or this collection of unreleased tracks available here.

I was on the air at KJ spinning the jazz show the morning I read that Smith had died, and for a few songs I switched it from jazz to play some songs from his self-titled album, even letting the word "fuck" on the air by accident, which for any college DJ is a big no-no, even if it does happen all the time. The Jazz Guru -- an older black gentleman who called each week to either criticize or complement the show -- phoned in to express his dismay that I'd deviated from the format, but seemed to understand when I told him the circumstances. After the show I went straight to KCI to fly to New York for the College Music Journal Festival, excited for the trip but with my enthusiasm for an indie rock convention naturally a bit deflated by the tragedy.

Fortunately his music still sounds great, with "Speed Trials" still probably holding steady as my favorite Elliot Smith track.

On an unrelated musical note, there's great new music to be heard tomorrow (Wednesday) night at the Taproom that will feature the debut of mysterious artist "Sea Boredom." The flier is below. Hope to see you there.

1 comment:

The Tilted Tulip said...

I was driving on campus, just past Allen Field House when I first heard the news. A knife to the chest--Man, that takes courage. Or lots of sadness. Probably the second one. Thanks for reminding me of how much I like his music...