21 May 2008

Day trippin


I've got 4 days in a row off coming up. Not sure what I'm going to do. There's an option of heading to the Dakotas for a couple of days. But there's also a chance I'll keep it close to home and head out on one of the exciting "Day Trips from Kansas City" listed in books like the one pictured above.

I actually leafed through this book while in line at the Borders in Lawrence. It sounds like there are a number of neat places I haven't been yet. But one thing struck me as funny:

There's a palm tree on the cover.

Yeah, the image is small, but you can plainly see it on the upper right side of the photo. So my question is, what automotive day trip from Kansas City can you take to get to somewhere where there's palm trees? I know you could get somewhere like that in 24 hours, but not there and back again.

Most likely this is just a stock photo used for all "Day Trip" guides. But in case there's some tropical oasis in the vicinity, someone should definitely let me know.

(Oh yeah, and I'm open to suggestions for places that actually exist as well. Gas ain't cheap, but Memorial Day comes but once a year)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya man, wazzup in K City?
I've been on the road for just over three weeks now, or a distance of more than 500 Kms by foot.
Still going strong allthough I had to sit out for a couple of days due to a
prained ankle. We still have another 20 days to walk till Basel, so check out our Reisetagebuch on www.vivaconagua.org to stay updated.
Hope to see you in September,
Moritz

LW said...

Moritz,

That's sweet. I didn't know you were doing this march. How many people?

If you wind up writing anything about it (auf Englisch oder Deutsch, Englisch waer wahrscheinlich besser) then I'd be happy to post it here. Though not many people read this, I'm sure the ones that do would enjoy hearing about such an unusual journey. Especially me.

When will you be in the states?

Anonymous said...

Is it me or do they seem to be driving what looks like a really spacious golf cart?

Anonymous said...

I think we'd have to see the pictures from the previous 13 editions to know what is actually going on here. They may be more onto our landscape than we know...

http://www.kmbc.com/news/9416677/detail.html

Either way, I want to know what fills 14 books full of places you can drive from Kansas. After HH Tonka and Overland Park, I'm clueless.

jennybros said...

Maybe not so much an over-sized golf cart, but an, as they call it... "duck"? A car that is also a boat. I've seen those in Branson, MO. That's a day trip away.

Here are a list of ideas if you stay in town:

-the windpower windmill nursery in Rock Port.
-the Flint Hills in Kansas
-the Ozarks
-I'm open to suggestions

MaggieJo said...

Perhaps it won't solve your Memorial Day needs but have you ever been to Arrow Rock, MO? The home of the Lyceum Theatre. The theatre schedule doesn't begin until June 6th. It's live stage productions. The town of Arrow Rock itself has history. It is among the bluffs along the Missouri River. It can be found north of Marshall, MO off I-70. Google it, go there, and blog about it!

Akktri said...

Looks like you've found a hole in our homogenized printing culture. Obviously this picture was taken in California and slapped on a Kansas City brochure. Cheap SOB's. Just another piece of evidence to show us that corporate America doesn't give a damn about the average citizen.