24 April 2008

Thursday Tracks: Internationalerockvideonacht / Amerikanischerundfunkblogarithm


I found this video of French-Canadian teen pop group Les Lutins earlier this week. I knew this song and had put it on a mix-tape or two, not thinking too much about what the vocalist looked like. In fact, I hadn't really thought through whether I thought it was male or female. Then I saw this. I wouldn't have guessed they were this young, but he's a very spirited fellow and it's a catchy tune. Take that, Jonas Brothers!


Next up, in my perpetual quest to listen to all Turkish folk/psych rockers of note, I found this from Baris Manco. It's called "Hal Hal," and it's got one of those infectious electric hooks he's so known for. They're like a Turkish P-funk, straddling folk and disco as well as bridging Europe and Asia. And if you think I'm being willfully obscurist, keep in mind this thing has 404,000 views at the time of my sharing it.

This isn't a video, but it's a great song by Erasmo Carlos, a Brazilian fellow who Stinj turned me on to. If it's currently the era of the Brazilian Hipster, as some would attest, songs like this certainly deserve some of the credit.

Oh, man. I just found this:


It's a medley of tunes in a variety of styles. The audience's appreciation and Erasmo's shy smile at about the minute mark make this a particularly lovely take.

While I'm showcasing hand-drums, long hair and high fashion, why not end this with a lovely ambient showing by German progressive/kraut/experimental rockers Popol Vuh, the folks whose music Herzog used for his film scores.



The hazy landscape in the video actually reminds me of the shot of barley waving in the wind set in Herzog's "The Mystery of Kaspar von Hauser."

The guy who posted this has a number of videos up at youtube.com/user/orangefunk, several from a great rebroadcasting of WDR's "Die Deutschrock Nacht."

Even if you don't enjoy the music in these, they're chock-full of fashion tips. But I think you'll like at least one of them. Until next time.

No comments: