14 April 2008

keeping it short and reality-based

Can't blog much right now. I've got a cold and I took some Claritin D (in case it's allergies) so I'm stuffed-up and pharmy-headed. So today I'll just hit you with this heartwarming true story from this week...

I was at the Shell station on Main the other day on my way out of town. I didn't think I had enough change for the turnpike so while I was fueling up I dug around in the seat cushions. An old guy came up and asked me for some change so he could buy a beer. I told him I didn't have enough to share and said sorry. He said don't ever be sorry. Then he looked in my back windshield and saw the chocolate Easter Bunny that's been sitting there since Easter.

"Is that candy?" he asked. I said yes. "Is it mine?" Sure, I said, though I'm afraid it might have melted a little. "That don't matter," he said, not taking his eyes off the thing. I pulled it out of the back and gave it to him, along with a cold beer that I had in my shoulder bag.

He said thanks and walked off, still staring at his new treasures. I hung up the fuel hose and got back in the car, where I found an extra cache of coins under my coffee mug, enough for the toll and then some.

Then I drove to Lawrence.

5 comments:

B said...

yay.

Elizabeth Baddeley said...

mmm...I like that story. I feel an illustration coming on!

Anonymous said...

Its wonderful to know you are still bringing people together on a daily basis. a bum his beer and his new found friend Melty the stale easter bunny.
I am sure he and Melty have gone on many amazing adventures to surrounding gas stations putting on puppet shows for young kids through the car windows while the parents scream, and the kids laugh...then cry...then vomit. So for all the other lonely easter bunnies out there with a pre-opening isolated gelatinous problems I salute you. May your future exploits make more people happy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke,
check out this article about an American visting his first St. Pauli game.
It was written by the hostbrother of my friend ben, who is currently on a trip around the world with a couple of friends: http://bostonglobe.longjaunt.com/blog/2008/04/09/st-pauli-soccer-in-a-seafaring-town/#comments
Moritz

Akktri said...

Beer and chocolate bunnies. Two things that a bum really doesn't need.
That reminds me of all those cans of spam I've given to hobos in the past.
What's really *terrific* is when you give them money and you see them head straight for a bar, or if you drive them somewhere, and it turns out to be a bar. I've done this a few times and it absolutely sucks.