04 March 2008

"Stroll On"


Recently a friend known as The Muffin Girl tipped me off to an unlikely sight -- a guitar and some drums strung up at the tippy-top of the street pole at 42nd and Oak. I thought at first she must be joking or at best speaking poetically, but as you can see, they're really there. This explains the faint but unmistakable sounds of rock and roll I hear on windy nights.

Speaking of rock and roll, Ghosty has a new Web site up with lots of great pictures, songs, press clippings and a special short video on the media page that captures Mike Nolte at his most captivating. Here's a snapshot from a short-lived lineup of Ghosty that featured Ed Epps and a 4-year-old girl.



Finally, those of you looking for a hint for the question of "Where did Wetzel find the picture for his new blog banner" might check out the following clip.



Until next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a sleuth--or a gumshoe, if you prefer--but I think I have this one cornered...So the scene is from the movie Blowup. The band is the Yardbirds, and the guitarist is Jimmy Page. Jimmy Page is 64 years old, a number whose square root is 8. 8 is just one more than 7. There are seven days in the week. And on Wednesday (a day of the week) I often enjoy purchasing a take-and-bake pizza pie from the local Papa Murphy's store. And in that Papa Murphy's there is a neon sign that reads, "Don't Forget a Salad!" Therefore, I believe that the banner image is a carefully cropped portion of the crossbar of the "t" in that neon sign. Indubitably!

LW said...

All right I don't mean to be coy about this. There's been some good guesses, from Pa Murphy's neon to the inside light of a slot machine to an HH art museum. And all of these are close, in one way or another. This particular light was a photo ABC snapped at a bar called the Blow-Up. I haven't been there since 2006, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed much.

Willie said...

I walk by that little totem every day on my way to work. It started out with the full body of that acoustic guitar that was pretty well hippied out with a collage of random drawings and stickers and what not. Eventually the elements took their toll leaving just that neck and back of the body. It was then that someone added the toms and the x-plorer.

Also the movie Blowup is kind of lame. I saw it after I had read a bunch of Cortazar but was still unaware that Blowup was at all Cortazar related. When I saw his name in the opening credits I got pretty excited about the potential for the movie. Then it was total ehh. It loses big points with me for avoiding answering its most engaging question-- who wins the mime tennis match?