27 March 2008

Leon Dimanche et Les Lionceaux des Cayes

Okay. I admit the last post might have been a bit insincere, homoerotic and over-the-top. I lost a staring contest with (a poster of) Andre Rieu some years ago and have never been the same since. I thought I'd follow that silliness up with a sincere recommendation of one of my favorite musicians, Haitian guitarist and singer Leon Dimanche.

Dimanche and the Les Lionceaux des Cayes group were very popular in the seventies in Haiti and beyond. I first heard a few tracks on a mix given to me by DJ Balagan, and had to search for a while before I could track anything down myself. Fortunately someone has posted audio files of songs from his 1973 album on a Haitian Web site. You can find those here.

There's some more information about Leon Dimanche at his home page and you can buy some of his older albums at Wagmarlove online store.

No comments: