04 January 2008

Snowtime


Red is right. This has been one of the best winters on record. I've been out doing my best to give myself a cold, scouting out the pristine, Narnian grounds of the Nelson in the middle of a fresh snowfall, drinking wine in styrofoam cups, taking advantage of the holiday schedule to stay up as late as possible.

I tried writing a few blog posts in the snow, but it just kept getting covered up, and the only person there to appreciate it was the security guard, who kindly but firmly suggested I go home.

I've seen some funny things happen in the ice and snow, even a few events that border on the tragic. At the end of the semester, some art kids were wheeling home the makings of a giant sculpture from the studio. When they got to 43rd street they slipped on the ice and lost control of the wheelbarrow, which tumbled over and spilled the sculptural anatomy out into the intersection. One of the kids directed traffic around the wreckage while the others scrambled to toss the broken torso into the lawns on either side of the street. It's still sitting there right now.


There's also a giant head in the back parking lot, perched on a chair and partially frozen over. After the ice melted, I think it chipped away at the mouth a bit so that his expression is much sadder than it was just a week ago. I'm not sure if this is related to the shattered colossus of Warwickshire, but it, too, doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon. It reminds me of another bizarre Kansas City sculpture, seen here (below) on a warmer day.

In other news, I sold the minivan and don't have a car anymore, but I plan to be back on the streets as early as tomorrow morning.

2008 already and I'm not sure what the future holds for this here blog. I had plans to put it to sleep but might give it a reprieve until Groundhog Day, at which point we'll reassess the situation. For now I think I'll keep posting some pictures, words and songs a couple of times a week, though I think I'll lay off the lengthy essays and travelogues in favor of a few quick observations that won't drain my energy and eat up too much of your time.

I'm gearing up for Liz's art opening on Friday, so check the Lawrence Journal-World next week for some more information on that. All 356 of Liz's pocket-sized pieces will be on display with some of my accompanying poems.

Also, my sister Laura is playing a concert at the church on Sunday just after noon. If you'd like information, let me know.

If you'd like to hear some other great music, then head over to the lukebox, where I just posted about twenty new/old songs that you can stream or download to itunes.

winter photos, as usual, by Jenn

2 comments:

Kyle said...

That top pic is cooler than cool - it's ice cold.

Akktri said...

I tried writing a blog in the snow, but some jerk kept writing snarky comments! I hate snow blog drama!