04 October 2007

Snapshots


I usually post songs or links to music on Thursdays, but I've been doing that a lot lately so I thought I'd get back to the old-fashioned staples of pictures and writing.

The above photo was taken at the great Halloween party of 2003, back when I lived above Massachussetts Street. There was live jazz and an art station where people could draw pictures and hang them up, but probably the most entertaining moment of the night was when Sam W (he no longer lives in this country, so I'm not worried about embarrassing him) staggered toward the back patio and vomited off the two-story drop-off while wearing a family member's wedding dress.

As for the guy in the photo, I have no idea who he is. He just showed up, drank about seven beers in 15 minutes and then left without so much as a hiccup, not to mention a hello.

This photo was taken by Natalie after the Kaw Valley Kickball Championships. After the championship teams cleared the field, a handful of us took advantage of the bright lights to get in a quick pickup game. This photo was taken at the most dramatic moment of that decidedly not-pretty contest, right when Jacob tried to throw me out as I leaped toward home. I reunited safely with my shadow at home plate, but unfortunately my opponent and long-time friend Mr. Baum slipped and bit the dust. Hard. The X of the fence partially obscures the point of action, as if to shield the viewer from the impact of the fall, but I still think the moment is captured nicely.

This photo was taken yesterday at Antioch Park. I hadn't been back there since I was a little kid, so it was strange and refreshing to revisit. Unlike so many landmarks in this city that have decayed, been replaced or are now unrecognizably renovated, Antioch Park (67th and Antioch) is in great shape. There was a brass band playing "When The Saints Go Marching In" at the picnic shelter near Dodge Town (a mini-sized city/playground). And the stepping stones to the middle of the lake -- my all-time favorite part of the park -- are still intact.

This shot was taken early last month on the curb opposite Burrito King in Lawrence. When I arrived on the scene at about 2:30 a.m., Ben and Scott were locked in a decisive wrestling match, with nearly a dozen spectators gathered on Nicole's front lawn to watch. The battle went back and forth without a clear victor, though I think the whole thing would have made a great jeans advertisement. After Scott was through, Ben invited passers-by to wrestle by saying, "If you're not gay, then prove it by wrestling me." No one else took him up on it.

Finally, I will sneak in something music-related after all by presenting this photo of renowned "stick wizard" Josh Adams. Most of you in the area have probably had the chance to hear Josh play with one group or another, but if you haven't I strongly suggest doing so sometime in your life. Josh is playing tonight (and every Thursday night this month) with Snuff Jazz at the Taproom, and he'll be playing with Ghosty tomorrow at the Jackpot Saloon as they open for the Klaxons. Like the previous two photos, this photo was taken by Jenn.

More from me soon.

3 comments:

jennybros said...

I think the direct quote was "If you're not gay, then you'll take your shirt off and come wrestle me on the corner!" (next to Burrito King at 9th and Indiana, as a growing crowd silently watches with partial amusement, and also partial indifference)

H.H. Holmes said...

that picture natalie took of the anti-slide is amazingly sweet.

Akktri said...

I guess he had to wait for the gay pride festival to pass by before asking.