28 October 2007

Happy 181st Birthday, Hugh!

Editor's Note: This birthday tribute is pretty much an exact replica of last year's shout out to the Kansas Hermit, but if you read through to the end you'll find a few photos recently made available by the Kansas State Historical Society.

Today Lt. Colonel Hugh Cameron would have been 181 years old. Who was Hugh Cameron? Basically he was a decorated Civil War veteran and free-stater who for one reason or another decided to live in an old wooden piano box along the bluffs of the Kansas river in his later years, earning him the nickname, "The Kansas Hermit." In the early days of Lawrence he had jobs including Brigadier General, Justice of the Peace and ferryboat operator. But he is much more than that. He is an inspiration.

I first happened upon the plaque at 5th and Louisiana streets the morning of July 5, 2001. I was still awake after an all-night Independence Day celebration, and finding this plaque at that moment was a nice bit of serendipity. I hadn't even finished reading the synopsis of Hugh's life before I decided he was as much of a literary fairy-godfather as I was ever likely to need, at least for that summer.

I went back there that night with my friend Jacob, who did a bit of research on Hugh's life and wrote a piece about him for the 2001 Disorientation Guide. Among the things Jacob uncovered were the reasons Hugh gave for leaving the town in favor of the wilderness:

"I wanted to be alone; I wanted to become a seer so I buried myself here in the woods. Some day the vision will come."

Aside from the account Jacob compiled and the plaque itself, I hadn't found out much about Hugh until I read this wondeful historical essay about him and a couple of other Lawrence eccentrics. If you have any interest in Hugh's life, or just want to hear an interesting story, I recommend it.

Also, Jacob recently pointed me to www.kansasmemory.org, the digital repository launched this month by the Kansas State Historical Society which has 3 photos of Hugh that neither of us had seen before. Also featured on the new site is a picture of something that, while admirable, is probably neither safe nor convenient to anyone involved.


Thanks to Jacob for his research, and a big Happy Birthday to Hugh. 181 years young.

No comments: