28 December 2006

Thursday Tracks (for real!)

As most of you know, I've done a bit of writing for official and unofficial publications including the University Daily Kansan, the Schol-Holler and even the Lawrence Journal-World. And as a semi-informed music fan and retired amateur DJ, I've naturally written about music from time to time. As fun as that can be, however, I've never quite been comfortable thinking of myself as or wanting to pursue any real position as a music writer. What could I say about a good song that would be more worthwhile than just listening to it?

Listening to music with people, on the other hand, is one of my favorite activities. I love sitting around with friends and trading off spinning whatever tracks we've been enjoying (some might say "feeling") lately. It is with that spirit in mind that I set up a Libsyn account to host MP3s of music I've been enjoying, oddities I've discovered or been sent by friends, and original compositions as well (at some point). I'll probably lean a little toward the old and obscure so I'm not stepping on anyone's copywright toes, but the main qualification for music I post here will be that it's either good, funny and/or something I think you might like.

I can pass on the direct link to my Libsyn page if you like, but for now I'll just be posting files here. To kick things off, here's a few tracks from the first album by Idle Race, the early band of Jeff Lynne, who went on to join The Move and later formed Electric Light Orchestra.

The silly and endearing "I Like My Toys" is the first song I heard by this band. It's a good post-Christmas tune, especially for those of us who would rather play with our toys than get a job. It's from their 1968 debut album, Birthday Party.

"Morning Sunshine" also comes from the Idle Race's first album. I think it sounds like a proto-T Rex track, but Deez says it sounds to him like the Beatles could have used this as an idea for some of the vocal effects on Abbey Road. Whatever the case, both Marc Bolan and the Beatles were big fans.

"Please No More Sad Songs" is the sixth track from the band's follow-up self-titled record, released in 1969. A good tune for the new year.

No comments: