22 February 2007

thursday tracks: Joplin Rap!



Last month Joplin Globe columnist and friend Jeremiah Tucker issued a challenge for readers to write a rap about Joplin, Missouri. Even though I'm not from there, I've spent a lot of time there with Jennifer and her family, so I had enough good experiences (mostly restuarant visits) to draw on for some quality rhymes.

The rap itself focuses on places to eat in J-town, and also draws attention to some notable regional landmarks like George Washington Carver's birthplace, the tri-state mineral museum, the skatepark and Eccentrix, the used record/book/movie store. I might type up the lyrics and post them in the comments section, but they should be pretty easy to understand.

Jeremiah praised the rap's quality and said it would have been a lock for first, but unfortunately we were a week late. So no prize, and no glory, even though he says he'll post it in the paper's online edition. Still, recording the J-town rap was a fun experience. I got to work with up-and-coming producer/brother David at sweatlodge studios (Dave produced the backing track, lifting a bit from the People Under the Stairs' "San Francisco Knights"). Plus, it refreshed my respect for hip-hop. Not that I didn't respect it a lot before, but trying to record a rap of my own really makes me appreciate those who do it well.

Without any further ado, here's the JopCity Rap. Hope you like it.

2 comments:

H.H. Holmes said...

'bout time duquesne got some respek.

Anonymous said...

Soul's Harbor...booyah!