11 January 2007

Thursday Tracks: Songs About Rainbows


Now that I am actually posting songs instead of just listing what I'm listening to, I thought a thematic audio post was in order. This week's theme is rainbows.

Kermit once famously asked why there were so many songs about them. I would ask the follow-up question of "Why are there so many psych songs about rainbows?" but the truth is, I already know. Psychedelic songs about rainbows transport you to a magical state of mind, and after listening to this awesome trio of tunes, I've felt at times as if I've been riding rainbows, traveling underneath them, or just plain old kicking back on my rainbow rocking chair.

The illustration is something my friend Till did in 2002. We had just seen 3 rainbows over the Rhine, one for each of us present that day, but for some reason Till only drew two of them. Probably my notebook wasn't big enough to capture the whole glorious scene. Also, I read that if you have two rainbows in the same place, one of them will have inverted colors (VIBGYOR vs ROYGBIV). Not sure if this rule of refraction applies to dream oil-pastel landscapes, however.

Finally, I was going to make this post even awesomer by including a poem my sister wrote about Rainbows that was published in a high school lit mag this year, but we decided to hold off on that one so as not to interfere with print sales. Suffice it to say it was a great poem, full of images of light and beauty. Go rainbows!

The tunes:

Ride a Rainbow by Victoria, 1971.

Under the Rainbow by The End, 1968

Rainbow Rocking Chair by Majority One, 1970

Thanks to aciddazed.blogspot.com for two of these tracks. A late but great site.

No comments: