11 October 2006

nippin' out


Sometimes people ask me what are some good comics to read. A lot of my favorites are Webcomics, but the company I work for does distribute quite a few comics that I am a big fan of. Among these are Lio, by Mark Tatulli. Lio is a pantomime strip, sort of a Harry Potter meets Buster Keaton with a hint of Edward Gorey. Lio's world is an interesting one, full of pet dinosaurs, grisly experiments and fooling his parents into thinking he's dead by lying on the ground with his head in a pool of cherry pie filling. Needless to say, not all of his rough sketches make it into print. The comic displayed here is such an example. I hope that nobody from my job sees this, because it would be strange to have to draft a cease and desist letter to myself.
Also, it would be neglectful of me to mention both my company and silent comic strips and not provide a link to Pepe, a daily comic drawn by someone named Moco which could just have easily been drawn in the 1930's as today. Also interesting is that it's referred to on the site Pepe en Espanol, even though there are never any speech bubbles. Not to worry, though. Pepe's antics speak for themselves.


Pepe is often the death of the party.


There are Octopus gags aplenty in Pepe.


Pepe does not like his wife very much.


Like Lio, Pepe also conducts traffic with the spirit world.


Outmoded racism in Pepe makes a good joke great.

Finally, in a bit of an attempt to regain any good karma I might have lost in last Tuesday's post, here's an interview with Garry Trudeau, another of our cartoonists. One of his characters, B.D. was the subject of a longer story arc in which he was wounded in Iraq, lost his leg and suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Más Pepe, más, más!!!

Anonymous said...

what happen to froggy?

The DaneMan said...

Luke,

I just found your blog, which I will now keep myself abreast of.

By the by, would you consider swapping links?

David

The DaneMan said...

did you see today's LIO?

I have uttered a similar sentiment previously, but never expected to see it given voice in the comics page.

glorious!

psst-hey I need a much better job, what's up at AMU?