06 October 2006

100 Haikus about Bonn, Germany

After months of intermittent efforts, I have finally finished writing one hundred haikus about my year living along the Rhine. I finished this project in September 2006 to coincide with the five year anniversary of my arrival in Bonn. I am posting them today because it is national poetry day in the United Kingdom, and that's a good as occasion as any.

Eventually, I would like to make these into a little booklet complete with translations, footnotes and photographs. So let me know if you might be interested, and I'll make sure you get a copy. For now, though, I thought I would just let the text stand on its own. Comments and corrections are welcome, as are questions about language or content. Thanks to Adam for encouragement and editing, Cory for penning the inspirational collection "100 Haikus about the Science Library" and thanks to you for reading. And be warned, 100 haikus is quite a few, so it might be best not to try and read them all in one sitting, if you dare try reading them at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was easier for you to write 100 Haikus about BOnn (of all places...) than writing ten about Hamburg????
I hope you're allready working on those, or else we will have to spend your visit walking around town looking for haikuish things and places.
Moritz

LW said...

Moritz,
Mach dir keine Sorgen. I've got a mini-poem/photo cycle about HH in the works, only rather than canvass the entire experience, they're all about the alte elbtunnel. But don't knock the Bundeshauptdorff -- it'll leave its mark on you if you let it. Bis bald. _LW_

Anonymous said...

I love them, love them, love them. They`re all wonderful, no matter which one I read, it immediately becomes my favorite.

Scheiß auf Eppendorf. Hamburg is more Harakiri than Haiku these days, but maybe Moritz can show you some places worthy of Dirty Limericks.