08 April 2009

Flipbook

In lieu of any lengthy written pieces this week, I thought I'd doll things up a bit with a collection of photos and scanned postcards that I found on my flash drive today. Today's tour will take us into the realms of fine art, history, haunted Lawrence, and former Hanseatic League strongholds.

First, a couple pieces of art.

This is a collage of Liz Gardner's "pocket-sized pieces" from 2007 and 2008. I arranged this page for photo printing and then cut out each individual square for the little book of haiku and art we made for one of her exhibits. All in all we sold -2 copies. That's right, negative two (nobody bought any, but a pair did get swiped). I suppose that could be viewed as discouraging, but at least we can't do any worse in our next publishing ventures.


One of Jennifer's stipple pieces, modeled after a print we found in an old Czech cinema magazine, I think.


The Barco Rammer -- it does what you want it to do.


Another postcard scan. This is the Alte Elbtonnel in Hamburg. I don't remember it having such colorful lights, but it definitely is eerie any time of day.


A photo I took a few years ago. The tunnel in the previous picture originates underneath this harbor market area.


Hamburg, in the olden days.


Can anyone tell me who this is? Hint: he's one of Lawrence, Kansas' best-known mystics.


The ruins of Stull Church, just before they tore them down


This 1950s depot is going to be torn down so that it can be more accessible for the handicapped. I never see anyone inside when I walk by at night, except for a guy with a long beard and an empty bottle sleeping on a bench with a pile of newspapers for a pillow. I think he missed his train a few decades ago and hasn't bothered waking up to catch any of the others.


Another midwestern depot, this time in Galesburg, IL. I'll be going here for youngest brother's graduation in a month.


Today's closing shot is of the Bowersox mill in Lawrence during stormy conditions. I think it's a good one to close on.

Hope you enjoyed today's photo tour. More from me in a few days.

1 comment:

Akktri said...

"I never see anyone inside when I walk by at night, except for a guy with a long beard and an empty bottle sleeping on a bench with a pile of newspapers for a pillow. I think he missed his train a few decades ago and hasn't bothered waking up to catch any of the others."

Never speak ill of the poor. They are your momento mori. "What I am you soon shall be."