05 January 2009

An Erinaceidae for the books


I've never given too much thought to the idea of having a spirit animal. If somebody asked me in the past I probably would have said "pterodactyl" or something either prehistoric or fictitious. But if I gave it some thought I would have to say that my spirit animal is a hedgehog.

I encountered hedgehogs quite a bit (usually at night) back in Lawrence and also in Rhineland-Westphalia, where a hedgehog is known as an "Igel". Whenever I saw them I treated them with respect, and I think hedgehogs and I usually had a pretty good (if silent) understanding of each other.

So it's with great delight that I read this scoop from the KC Star about Lawrence overturning its ban on having a pet hedgehog within city limits. The story chronicles the legal campaign of a kid named Justin, and when you reach the story's conclusion you'll see that my symbolic adoption of the animal isn't without some cosmic merit.

In addition, my friends at Zoroastrian Kids point out that the hedgehog is a sacred animal created by none other than Ahura Mazda.

My affinity for the critter also stems from one of my favorite poems in the German language, Kurt Marti's "Das Herz der Igel" (The Heart of a Hedgehog, translated into English if you scroll down a bit here).

Any other hedgehog-related trivia can be sent here via the comments section. Otherwise, hope you're having a good year so far.

Cheers.

LW

3 comments:

B said...

i want a spirit animal.

Anonymous said...

an entire blog about hedgehogs with no mention of sonic? impressive. but yeah, sonic.

LW said...

i like sonic, but i never had much of a relationship with him growing up. never had a sega or got to play at a friend's house (though I did watch them play a bunch)

hence the omission