19 June 2007

intimacy, blogging, guns

I still don't know exactly what the fuss is about blogging. I went back and looked at Wil Wheaton's blog, which I'm told is one of the most popular ones out there. I also randomly came across the blog of some housewife (there are more of these than you might think) complaining that people were stealing her ideas without giving credit, which hurts her feelings because she spends all of her "precious-kids-are-sleeping-time" blogging (and this is the thanks she gets!)

The popularity of blogs baffle me, but from what I can tell, the more personally revealing the content, the more fanatic the response.

With this in mind, I'd like to go out on a limb tonight and let you in on some things I've kept hidden from everyone for the past couple of years -- hidden from even myself.

The following is a list of things that I just recovered from under the cushions and crevices of my living room couch:

- a drumstick (for playing drums, not the kind you eat)
- a stick of "silk & shine" lip gloss
- a strawberry Capri Sun (empty, flattened)
- a broken pencil
- a pink Crayola "glitter" crayon
- a ticket stub from the KC Symphony's performance of Mozart's Requiem
- a matchbook from Neurolux, a nightclub in Boise, Idaho with a "pleasant atmosphere" (weird because I've never been to Boise)
- the remote control for my CD player
- a graphic pin of "Dashboard Confessional" (who I swear I've never listened to)
- a bunch of lint
- John Cale's "Vintage Violence" CD (strange because I had the song "Big White Cloud" in my head all day)
- enough change to get two Tacos at Taco John's (but only on Tuesdays)
- a 9-chamber LeMat revolver left over from the Civil War (not true, but wouldn't that be neat)

Actually, I shouldn't joke about guns popping up in unlikely places. When brother Dave returned James's Jeep after borrowing it for a few months, he called to have me check and make sure he hadn't left something specific behind. I didn't find what he was asking about, but I did find $120 in an envelope maked "Ghosty." Also, when I reached under the driver's seat, I felt a cold, heavy object that I removed to take a closer look at.

A handgun.

I was a bit frightened for a moment until I realized it was one of those air gun things that shoots tiny yellow plastic balls. James had lost it a year before, but we'd always assumed our Mom had confiscated it because she hated how it looked and felt like the real thing, especially since James had painted over the orange tip to make it look more like a real firearm. Apparently it had been under the seat for the entire time Dave had the car.

Fortunately, Dave hadn't been pulled over at any point and had the car searched. That could have been disasterous. They probably would have taken him for an armed gangster named "Ghosty."

I'll be back to post more photos, news and KC-related stories soon, but I'm glad I could share these intimate details with you today. Thank you for reading -- it means so much. I wish I could respond to all of you personally, but as you can see the comments have been pouring in and I just don't have the time. A blogger's work is never done!

5 comments:

H.H. Holmes said...

i can take responsibility for the neurolux matchbook. boise was one of the (stranger) stops for the actual gang of ghosties, which was unarmed, for the record. guess i must've needed fire that night. but that's flagrant false advertising if they called it a "pleasant atmosphere". during our short set, a cold, small, and drunken crowd cried freebird all night, and then cried again when we actually played part of it. worst of all, there was no $120 envelope. i think we made enough to get us gassed up enough to leave town...

anyway, nice post.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried just roaming through the blogging world with the next blog button?
It's truly amazing how many sad, ridiculous, funny and interesting lives are revealed to, well anyone who cares to read about them. I wonder if people (aka housewives)actually know that just anybody is able to take a good look at their inner life.
We didn't have that back when I was a twelve year old housewife. Times were just better then.

jennybros said...

If the drumstick was from a 311 show, then I could possibly direct you to the source.... and the DC pin is either something that I carried from work (I've never listened to them either, I promise) or something I planted in your sofa, so that the findings in this experiment would be more colorful.

Elizabeth Baddeley said...

I started my blog because I loved reading about the stupid boring stuff that goes on in other peoples lives (probably related to my hobby of looking into peoples houses at night..and cubicles at work). I saw this book. "No One Cares What You Had for Breakfast" it was something about topics for blog posts that people will actually care about. Well, I have news for them. I DO care what you had for breakfast (and lunch).

LW said...

for breakfast today I had coffee and nerds