24 November 2006

of dream homes and destruction



"A perhaps overly dramatic end to tonight's Skittles fight. Breaking down the door felt good. It looked so sad, the Star Wars poster still on it. It was a statement, I suppose, more violent than the kind I usually make. Laura was laughing uncontrollably, and I laughed a little, too, but afterward I just wanted to go outside and cry."

-Excerpt from the Oct. 2nd entry of LW's Deconstruction Diaries

Right now there is a bulldozer in front of the house I grew up in. I'm not speaking poetically -- it's true. Though the house has been wonderful, it's been through a lot and was plagued by a few structural problems, and the family all agreed it was time for a complete overhaul (as long as the cold-war era bomb shelter remained intact).

In memoriam of 4832 Adams, I've included a lone entry from my journal of the house's deconstruction process, as well as this old photo taken by my aunt Joan in which the front yard almost looks like a Japanese print.



It's a bit of relief for everyone that the process has begun, even if it looked like it might not really happen until the last minute. Pookie Thornhill and friends had threatened to form a human chain barring the wrecking crew from the property, but they didn't follow through, and I kind of figured they wouldn't. I didn't, however, expect that the person operating the equipment would be none other than Sam Stepp.




Sam Stepp: Homewrecker

As traumatic as I imagined all of this would be, it hasn't been so bad, and it's not like I don't have my own apartment. Even so, I've done some surveying of the region and found a home that I think would be suitable once I decide to take up turnip farming and start a family. I first drove by it on the way to a cousin's graduation party at a barn outside of Lawrence. It's made of stone and quite lovely.


dream home


miles and miles from nowhere

I eventually picked up the Douglas County Historic Building Survey from a few decades ago and identified the home in question.


VERMILIA HOUSE
1 mile north, 1 mile west Jct. 24-40
This stone house was built by Ed Vermilia for himself and a sister in the 1860s. The coursed stone walls probably come from the hills just to the north of the home. The home is vacant but owned by area residents.

So, if you happen to be the area residents in question, please know that I am very interested in your property. I'm not so handy with stonework or home repair, but I am willing to do what it takes. You can reach me at mossby at gmail.com.

No comments: