23 October 2006

febrile fantasies from the pumpkin patch

As promised, I am back with more Halloween-themed subject matter. To get into the spirit, I went with some family and friends yesterday to Schaake's pumpkin patch outside of Lawrence (see left). In fact, I was so overcome with Halloween spirit and the month of October in general that I dug up a particularly bizarre ballad I wrote five years ago when I was homesick and had a bad fever. It's basically about what all the Halloween folks are up to in the off-season, though some of the details (chili-dogs, Dr. Pepper) are hard to read as anything but a celebration of childhood. At least one friend I shared it with some years ago voiced his concern for my mental well-being, but I kind of have a soft spot for it. Read it here, and see what you think.

UPDATE! Even if you find the poem itself to be juvenile and absurd, you might enjoy the director's commentary I just added at the bottom of the poem itself. It reveals, in tantalizing detail, the origins of each charater and how they were filtered from real people, personality types and life events into cartoon monster archetypes.

Also, in case you're wondering why I've created a second blogger site, it's mostly to make a home for some of the more lyrical experiments that for one reason or another I feel like putting online. If you prefer more conversational, poorly punctuated musings on life and daily events, you might try my newly created MySpace page. Otherwise, most of what I write will still wind up here. Thanks for reading.

No comments: